Speed limits have been formally changed in six locations around the city following consultation with the community and approval by Hamilton City Council’s Regulatory and Hearings Committee meeting on 14 August 2019.
The changes include a reduction of the speed limit from 50km/hr to 30km/hr along the length of Claudelands Rd – one part of a bigger project aimed at providing a safer connection to the central city for people on bikes.
The six speed limit changes came into effect on 9 September 2019 and new road signs were promptly installed, supplemented by temporary, yellow New Speed Limit signs and other targeted communications.
Earlier in 2019, the Council received extensive feedback from Hamiltonians about where they thought speed was an issue in the city. This feedback informed the development of a Speed Management Plan for the city and the prioritisation approach for speed limit reductions.
The Speed Management Plan was adopted by the Council in June 2019 and Hamiltonians can expect to see ongoing speed limit changes around the city over the coming months which are consistent with the new, city-wide approach.
City Transportation Unit Manager Jason Harrison says: “Reducing speed limits is a key way we can help reduce speeds on our streets and, in turn, the number and severity of crashes.”
“Hamiltonians can be assured this current round of speed limit changes have been carefully considered in the context of a city-wide approach. They are consistent with the new speed limits we’ve already introduced to some parts of the city and with other changes in the pipeline.”
“The changes signal a shift away from a ‘one size fits all’ approach – like a blanket 50km/hr speed limit across the city – often unsuitable for residential neighbourhoods and areas where there are people using the road in many different ways.”
“We’re working very closely with Hamiltonians to get the right speed limits in place on the right roads, and we’d like to thank all road users for their patience and understanding as they become accustomed to new speed limits.”
Locations of speed limit changes:
- Horsham Downs Rd from 10m north of North Ridge Dr to 100m north of Borman Rd – reduction from 80km/h to 60km/h.
- Borman Rd from Horsham Downs Rd 450m east of Horsham Downs Rd – reduction from 80km/h to 60km/h.
- River Rd from 75m north of Te Huia Dr to city boundary – reduction from 80km/h to 60km/h.
- Pardoa Blvd from Gordonton Rd to the Waikato Expressway – increase from 50km/h to 60km/h.
- Claudelands Rd from Victoria St to Grey St – reduction from 50km/h to 30km/h.
- North City Rd from Borman Rd to Fergy Pl – reduction from 50km/h to 30km/h.